What is "Ask Fortuna"?
"Ask Fortuna" is an intriguing new fortune-generator for your iPhone, iPad, and Macintosh. It creates almost-random sayings and prescient prognostications… ah, but with a twist!
These are not plagiarized lists of old quotes, nor are they completely random sentences of computer-speak; They are something in between. "Ask Fortuna" makes millions of uniquely original sayings, guided by "A.I." (artificial intelligence perhaps) that imbues its prose with poetic and thought-provoking wit. You can save and send your favorite sayings to your friends, and even have "Ask Fortuna" read the saying out loud in one of many computerized voices.
Here are some examples of Ask Fortuna's serious, absurdly funny, and zen-like generated sayings:
Fortuna is a Roman goddess who personifies luck and fortune, both good and bad. This playful application calls upon her to spin the original 'wheel of fortune' and deliver a cornucopia of sayings that are equal parts funny, random, portentous, and thought-provoking. Seek her thoughts, share your wisdom with friends and family, and enjoy!
This application is always ready to offer you some stress relief or just a smile, or possibly even some sage advice just at the right time. You never know what sayings Fortuna has in store for you, and like life, it will usually be a fun surprise. They can be saved to your newsletter or blog, sent via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or e-mail, and you could have "read-aloud silliness contests" with friends.
What else can Ask Fortuna Do?
Many thanks to my gracious photography models Mojgan and Kris
Ask Fortuna is now a FREE application, with the extra feature of "Speak-to-me" as an additional $1 in-app-purchase. That is cheaper than a bag of potato chips, and much healthier!
What is next?
Ask Fortuna wants to be so much more! However, after a year of working on it I had to stop adding features and get it out to you! So, now I have to ask you the important questions. What new things would you like to see next?
After you enjoy the software, feel free to send me an e-mail and suggest a new feature you might like "Ask Fortuna" to have. Although I cannot promise answering all e-mails or getting all the requests done, I would love to hear what you want! I will collect and read all your requests, and I look forward to continuing to improve "Ask Fortuna" and making even more fun things for you.
Here are some ideas that are already simmering on the stove of possibility:
- Add even more styles of fortunes and sayings to her repertoire.
- Randomly display or say a fortune at certain times of the day.
- Save an audio recorded file of the spoken fortune.
- Limit the generation of new fortunes to once a minute, hour, or day.
- Make an AppleTV version of the app?
- Make an Apple Watch version of the app?
- Stop making these addictive apps, I'm always goofing around with it now!
- Prompt you to type your name and other personalized words or phrases (favorite color, pet name, friend's name, zodiac sign, favorite animal...) which would then be sprinkled into your fortunes.
- Create a fortune generator in different languages, like Japanese, French, Russian...
- Entirely different app ideas... like a silly meeting agenda maker, business-name creator, prompts for school photo assignments or creative writing essays, opening novel lines for Bulwer-Lytton contests, Renaissance faire curses, horoscopes? By the way, I have many of these ideas already working in "the lab"!
A full press kit for use by journalists/reviewers is available for download below.
The press-kit materials for Ask Fortuna - macOS (Macintosh) are available here (7 MB .zip download)
The press-kit materials for Ask Fortuna - iOS (iPhone/iPad) are available here (13 MB .zip download)