Endless creative story openers are now at your fingertips with Lyttony, a rather novel opening-sentence-generator for your iPhone, iPad, and Macintosh.
Lyttony creates millions of original and thought-provoking story-openers, useful for both teachers and students in creative writing classes, authors or writing clubs needing new inspiration, or just quick ideas for daily writing practice.
Lyttony does not require you to choose from confusing topic lists or to play 20-questions first. You are immediately provided ready-to-use opening lines, with no restrictions on their use. Feel free to copy them as-is into your next best-seller, or edit them to your liking.
Ask Lyttony as many times as you want – there's something for everyone. And if you find a great opener, bookmark it or share it with friends. You can always rewind back to your favorite bookmarked lines later.
Lyttony can send you a new line every day, and create customized stories with your name and your favorite color included in the text.
On iOS, Lyttony is integrated into your Messages app, so that you can create stories or access your bookmarks and send them from within the Messages app without leaving the conversation
There are extra-purchase features as well. Lyttony can read the text aloud in your favorite computerized voice. Lyttony can also be synchronized with "Global StoryTime", so you can receive the same line, at the same time, with everyone else in the world.
Need some ideas for your next great story, or stuck trying to think of an opening line for a writing assignment, since "It was a dark and stormy night" is already taken? Let Lyttony provide the impetus to wet the quill, unblock the synapses and pour inspiration into your mind.
Quick video preview (40 seconds):
What else can Lyttony Do?
Lyttony is a $1 USD application, with the extra features of "Read stories aloud" and "Global-Sync" as additional $1 in-app-purchases. That is cheaper than a bag of potato chips, and Lyttony lasts forever!
It's 1.0, so everything is new!
- Hitting tab/return after editing one of the PERSONALIZATION fields doesn't go to next field. (On Mac, hitting up-down-arrows when focused out on the overall line, WILL move the selection up and down, and tab will jump into that text field.)
- iOS: When sharing story to e-mail, there is NO subject line text added to the e-mail.
The main display
FAQ & Tips
FAQ: Here are some common questions/answers...
Q: Can I sell my book using quotes from this software?
A: Yes, that is the whole point! Any stories you create using Lyttony quotes are completely yours to give away or sell. No copyright or attributions needed.
Q: How do I access this directly from my messages app?
A: The Messages-Extension works (automatically) in iOS 10 and newer. After you install the Lyttony app, simply run Messages, and click the little "apps" icon, and you should see the Lyttony icon there. Click it, and create new stories and post them right there! It can also list the bookmarks you saved with your iOS Lyttony app (click the up-arrow to expand the Lyttony message view), and let you choose and send them too.
Q: Can I add some of my own story ideas into this software to share, and get my name in the credits too?
A: Perhaps, for the next big release... it requires some time and work for me to convert each story idea into the right format for the software, but I will again recruit some writers to add to the melting pot for the next major release. Please send me an e-mail with your request!
- You can save up to 5 bookmarked stories. As you save new ones after that, the older ones get removed from the list.
- Easter-egg, sort of: There is a piece of music I wrote, and an accompanying super-short-story, hidden in the app.
- You can directly select the text of the current story and copy it for pasting into other documents.
- Lyttony plays nicely in Dark Mode.
- You can grow and shrink the main window, and the story font will grow and shrink along with it, to a reasonable size. The window can also go full-screen.
- You can shake your phone/iPad, and it will generate a new story.
- You can tap on the story, and the text will be immediately copied to the paste-board, where you can switch to another application and paste it in as text.
- There is a built-in iOS "Messages extension app", so you can access Lyttony right inside Messages, create new stories or access bookmarked ones and send them in your conversations.
The name "Lyttony" comes obliquely from Edward Bulwer-Lytton, a Victorian-era British novelist/playwright, who penned the infamous opening line, "It was a dark and stormy night..." and who created the quote "The pen is mightier than the sword!"
To see what other people are doing with Bulwer-Lytton-esque opening one-liners, dive into this web site
Although I cannot divulge all the secrets, I can tell you that these are not lists of pre-canned sentences, nor are they completely random sentences... they are something rather complicated in between, insuring trillions of unique and intriguing sentences.
Lyttony incorporates my powerful and proprietary MakeSents© Engine, which runs on "Abstruse Ingenuity" (A.I.)
Press Release, iOS: You can view our iOS press release, read it here.
Press Release, Mac: You can view our Macintosh press release, read it here.
What is next?
Well, what would YOU like? If you let me know what things you would like to see next, and I will add them to my to-do list for the next update!